Personal health information protection
Hôpital Montfort collects personal information about your health, whether that information is provided by you or a person acting in your interests. For example, we collect your name, date of birth, address, medical history, the history of your visits to Hôpital Montfort and the care you received during your visits. We occasionally collect your personal health information from other sources, provided that we have obtained your consent or if the Act permits us.
Collection of your personal health information
Hôpital Montfort collects personal information about your health, whether that information is provided by you or a person acting in your interests. For example, we collect your name, date of birth, address, medical history, the history of your visits to Montfort and the care you received during your visits. We occasionally collect your personal health information from other sources, if we have obtained your consent or if the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) permits us.
Use and Disclosure of Your Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information for the following reasons:
- to treat and care for you. This could include sharing information with your family doctor, a laboratory, another health care provider, other hospitals participating in regional/provincial electronic health records project.
- to obtain payment for your care and treatment (Ontario Health Insurance Plan, Workplace Safety & Insurance Board, private insurance or other)
- to plan, administer and manage our activities
- to conduct risk management and quality improvement activities
- to support research and teaching
- to comply with applicable laws and regulations
- to meet other objectives permitted or required by law
Your name and address may be sent to the Montfort Hospital Foundation to inform you of their activities and to allow you the opportunity to participate in their fundraising drives. You are entitled to ask that your name and address not be used for this purpose. Please be assured that the Foundation will at no time provide your information to other organizations.
- You may ask for access to your personal health information record and ask to have it corrected.
- You may contact us to withdraw your consent for some of the above uses and disclosures (subject to legal exceptions).
- We take the necessary steps for protecting your personal health information, including against theft, loss and unauthorized access, copies, modifications, uses and disclosure.
- We conduct audits and investigations to ensure that we are protecting your personal information and your privacy.
- We collect only the information we need to do our work.
If you have any questions about your personal health information, contact the Access to Information and Privacy Protection Office at (613) 746-4621, ext. 2999, or at email@example.com. You can also reach our Director of Information Protection and Privacy at (613) 746-4621, ext. 2945.
You are entitled to file a complaint with the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario if you feel your rights have been infringed:
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2, Bloor St. E., Suite 1400
Toronto ON M4W 1A8
Phone: (416) 326-3333 or 1 800 387-0073
Fax: (416) 325-7539
1. Personal health information is defined as: identifying information about an individual in oral or recorded form, if the information:
a) relates to the physical or mental health of the individual, including information that consists of the health history of the individual’s family,
b) relates to the providing of health care to the individual, including the identification of a person as a provider of health care to the individual,
c) is a plan of service within the meaning of the Long-Term Care Act, 1994 for the individual,
d) relates to payments or eligibility for health care in respect of the individual,
e) relates to the donation by the individual of any body part or bodily substance of the individual or is derived from the testing or examination of any such body part or bodily substance,
f) is the individual’s health number, or
g) identifies an individual’s substitute decision maker.
Section 4 (1) of the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004
2. Personal health information record: commonly called medical records or clinical records.
The Orleans Health Hub is a partnership between Montfort Hospital, Bruyère, CHEO, Eastern Ottawa Resource Centre, Geriatric Psychiatry Community Services of Ottawa, Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa, ParaMed, Ottawa Public Health, and Champlain Home and Community Support Services, which provides easier access to coordinated health care services. In this capacity, Montfort collects personal health information from clients of the Hub.
For more information, visit the Health Information Network page on the Orléans Health Hub website.
To submit a request for access or correction, please use the form that best suits your needs.
- Request to Access Personal Health Information (formerly clinical records): access to clinical records, release of information, confirmation of birth, stay and death - charges apply.
- Request to Correct Personal Health Information
Requests for access to personal health information and corrections: please send us your original request by mail or visit us in person. Please note that two pieces of ID will be required.
Requests are processed according to reception date. Requests for continuity of care are prioritized.
If you are making a written request in order to obtain access to your personal health information (clinical record) or to ask for a correction, we have in principle 30 days to answer. We always do our best to answer your needs before the 30-day period and to ensure a quality customer service.
Visit us during business hours (8 a.m.– 4 p.m.). We are located in the D Wing, basement level, 00D135. Our reading room is 00D133A.
Phone: 613-746-4621, ext. 4903 or 2998.
To reach the Access to Information and Privacy Protection Coordinator:
Tel. :(613) 746-4621, ext. 2999
Fax: (613) 748-4949
NOTE: PDF documents are available in a different format upon request at firstname.lastname@example.org