The Profiles, Career Paths and Duties of Various Physicians
The following brief biographical notes contain information about certain physicians associated with Hôpital Montfort and their illustrious careers. Their number includes pioneering physicians, department heads and members of the Medical Advisory Board or the Council of Physicians whose names have grown familiar to us after the decades they spent in service to the hospital’s patients.
Family Physician at Hôpital Montfort from 1953 to 1964.
President of the Medical Bureau from 1957 to 1958.
Honourary Member in 1967.
Thomas Telmon Dufour was born in Ottawa on September 6, 1905. He attended elementary and secondary school in Ottawa, and completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Ottawa. Thomas Dufour studied medicine at Queen’s University and obtained his diploma (M.D.) in 1928. He pursued complementary studies in pulmonary disease and obstetrics. As a general practitioner, he worked in Ottawa and in Eastview from 1932 to 1964. He was a consultant with the Royal Ottawa Hospital and served as Director of the Ottawa Health Service at the Saint-Vincent Hospital for several years, and as president of the Academy of Medicine Ottawa.
Married to Ruby Kenny, he was the father of three children. Thomas Dufour Sr. died in Ottawa on June 8, 1991.
Radiologist at Hôpital Montfort from 1953 to 1982.
Director of the Physiotherapy and Radiology Department from 1953 to 1982.
Chair of the Medical Advisory Committee from 1969 to 1970.
Born in Matane, Quebec on May 12, 1921, Émile Tessier completed his classical studies at Collège Garnier in Québec City and obtained his B.A. in 1944. He studied medicine at the Université Laval (M.D., 1949). He completed his internship in Quebec City for two years at local university hospitals (Saint Sacrement, L’Enfant-Jésus and Hôtel-Dieu). He then undertook post-graduate studies, specializing in radiology; he studied in France: 1 year at Montpellier and 3 months in Paris under the supervision of physicians Paul Lamarque and François Baclesse, followed by 3 months in England. He capped off his training with one year in Montreal at the Queen Mary Veterans Hospital. He was an active member and Chief of the Physiotherapy and Radiology Department from 1953 to 1982.
Married to Thérèse Fortin, he was the father of one child. Émile Tessier died in Ottawa in 1982.
Family Physician at Hôpital Montfort from 1953 to 1972.
President of the Medical Bureau from 1959 to 1961.
Émile Joseph Sylvain Major was born in Orléans, Ontario on June 23, 1899. He completed his elementary studies in Lowertown schools in Ottawa, and pursued his secondary education at the Collège Saint-Alexandre in Limbour, Quebec. He obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Ottawa. He studied medicine at McGill University (M.D. on October 6, 1924) and interned at the Misericordia Hospital in New York (1924-1925). He practised in Ottawa during the summer of 1925, and then worked in general practice in Orleans in 1925. He was an active member of the Ottawa General Hospital and the Saint-Vincent Hospital, and served as Medical Officer of Health for the townships of Cumberland (1942-) and Gloucester (1946-) and as coroner for the United Counties of Prescott, Russell and Carleton from 1951 to 1969. He was Secretary of the Village of Orleans from 1931 to 1935, and was appointed justice of the peace in 1941. He was extremely active in local organizations and within the Saint-Joseph d’Orléans parish. At the same time, he was also a member of the Ligue du Sacré-Cœur, organizer of parish celebrations, and secretary and then president of the school board. In 1963 the Orleans Chamber of Commerce voted him “Resident of the Year.” Dr. Major’s family moved to Ottawa in 1962 where he opened an office. He became president of the Société d’histoire et de généalogie d’Ottawa-Hull from 1963 to 1971. From 1978 to 2005, the trophy awarded by the genealogical society bore his name.
Married twice, first to Cécile Tessier and later to Marguerite Dorion, Émile Major was the father of four children. He died on December 30, 1972 at the age of 73.
Family Physician at Hôpital Montfort from 1953 to 1978.
Born on March 3, 1907 in Rockland Ontario, Annie Powers was one of the first Francophone women in Ontario to become a physician. After obtaining her bachelor of arts (B.A.) degree from the University of Ottawa in 1930, she taught for 11 years at the Hawkesbury high school. She decided to change careers and follow in the footsteps of her father and two brothers by taking up medical studies. A student at Université Laval, she obtained her degree (M.D.) in 1945. After serving as a physician for two years in the Canadian Army, Annie Powers returned to Rockland, making it her permanent home. She succeeded her father and took over his medical practice in 1947.
Dr. Powers ran a flourishing practice and, as a country doctor, was always willing to provide services free of charge to sick persons in need. Her generosity and devotion to her patients was boundless. She served as physician at the Saint-Joseph de Rockland residential facility for many years.
She maintained ties with Hôpital Montfort for 25 years. Many of the rooms for hospital patients were equipped with televisions through her generosity. With the cooperation of the Embassy of France, she made a major donation of medical-surgical encyclopedia’s in 1978, and in gratitude, the hospital’s medical library was named after her in 1979. Dr. Powers retired in the 1980s after 40 years of medical practice.
A trustee of the Prescott-Russell Board of Education for almost 25 years, from the 1960s to the 1980s, she suggested the Beauséjour annex of the Prescott-Russell school for exceptional children in Casselman.
Named "Citizen of the Year" by the City of Rockland in 1971, Annie Powers first became a member emeritus of the Ontario Medical Association in 1973, the same year she was decorated with the crest of honour of the Association des médecins de langue française du Canada. In 1976 she received the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice medal (Cross of Honour), and in 1977, the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal. In 1979 she became a member of the Order of Canada. In 1983 the University of Ottawa bestowed her an honourary doctorate. Lastly, the hall used by the Knights of Columbus in Clarence-Rockland – the Powers Centre – bears her name.
Annie Powers, called, "Dr. Annie," or "doctor to the poor" died in Rockland at the age of 82 on December 8, 1989.
Gynecologist at Hôpital Montfort from 1954 to 1965.
President of the Medical Bureau from 1954 to 1955.
Born in Hull, Quebec in 1891, Ernest Couture completed his classical education at the University of Ottawa (B.A., 1911) and studied medicine at McGill University (M.D., 1916). He interned at the Ottawa General Hospital and the Misericordia Hospital in New York, and then became a gynecologist-obstetrician in 1917. He established the maternity department at the Ottawa General Hospital and served as medical advisor at the Sacré-Cœur Hospital in Hull. He was Director of the Division of Child and Maternal Hygiene of the Department of Pensions and National Health from 1937 to 1952. From 1954 to 1956, he was the main founder of the obstetrical department at Hôpital Montfort. Dr. Couture had privileges at Montfort from 1956 to 1965 as an honorary member in gynecology and obstetrics. Author of the best-selling books The Canadian Mother and Child / La mère canadienne et son enfant (c. 1941), Ernest Couture also wrote articles for medical journals. He died in Ottawa in 1970. A health care centre for children from two and a half to five years of age was named after him in the Billings Bridge area of Ottawa: Dr. Ernest Couture Child Care Centre.
Internist at Hôpital Montfort from 1954 to 1967.
Director of the Department of Internal Medicine from 1954 to 1967.
Honourary Member in 1967.
Laurent Potvin graduated with a medical degree from the Université Laval (M.D., 1946) and completed his residency at the Quebec City Hôtel-Dieu Hospital from 1946 to 1948. He furthered his studies in Europe (two years) and in Philadelphia (1 year) and specialized in gastroenterology. From 1952 to 1954 he worked in internal medicine at the Hôtel-Dieu hospital. From 1954 to 1967, he practised medicine in Ottawa with an office at Hôpital Montfort. In 1962 he became a full professor of clinical medicine at the University of Ottawa, and in 1965 he wrote a brief on bilingualism in the sciences and in medicine which he submitted to the University of Ottawa. He left Ottawa in 1967, returned to Quebec City and in the same year, he and Dr. J.-Marc Julien co-founded the first internal medicine teaching unit in Quebec City. He worked as a clinician for 19 years at Laval Hospital, and then ended his career at the Saint-François d’Assise Hospital, where he opened the internal medicine department, specializing in geriatrics. He became an honourary member of the Canadian Medical Association in 2009.
Surgeon at Hôpital Montfort from 1954 to 1993.
President of the Medical Bureau from 1967 to 1968.
Honourary Member in 1993.
The son of Dr. Jean-Marie Laframboise, Jean Laframboise was born in Ottawa on December 6, 1922. He attended elementary and secondary school in Ottawa. He completed his Bachelor of Arts degree (B.A., 1944) at the University of Ottawa and his medical studies (M.D., 1949) at the Université Laval. He interned at the Hôtel-Dieu and Enfant-Jésus hospitals (1948-1949) in Quebec City. He completed his post-graduate internship at the Ottawa General Hospital (1949-1950). He taught anatomy and pathology at the University of Ottawa in 1950-1951, and was assistant at the Hôpital Vaugirard de Paris in 1952-1953 and surgical assistant at the Hôtel hospital in Montreal (1952-1954). He was an active member of the medical staff and chief of the Montfort surgical department for 17 years. He was a visiting member of the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO), a consultant with the Ottawa General Hospital and professor at the University of Ottawa. He closed his private practice in 1989 but continued to provide surgical assistant services as a visiting physician for several years starting in 1990.
A founding member in 1958 and president of the Cercle universitaire d’Ottawa, Dr. Laframboise received a certificate of recognition for his 25 years of service on December 19, 1979. In May 1993 he was appointed an honourary member of Hôpital Montfort medical staff, and his family received a posthumous certificate of recognition in 1994.
Husband of Esther Morin and father of six children, Jean Laframboise died in Ottawa on August 4, 1994 at the age of 71.
Family Physician at Hôpital Montfort from 1954 to 1994.
Honourary Member of Hôpital Montfort.
Born in Sainte-Anne-de-Prescott, Ontario on June 23, 1925, Jérôme Corbeil completed his secondary and classical studies at the Petit Séminaire d’Ottawa and later the Séminaire de Sainte-Thérèse (B.A., 1945). He studied medicine at the University of Ottawa (M.D. in 1953), and completed his medical residency at the Hôpital de Verdun. He began practising as a family physician in Rockland and served as consulting physician at the Saint-Joseph de Rockland residential facility for many years.
In the 1960s, Dr. Corbeil chaired the Montfort School of Nursing Committee and later served as coroner for the Counties of Prescott and Russell and Carleton County from 1966 à 1996. He also played a role in founding the Francophone section of Ontario’s family physicians.
Member and co-founder of the Rockland Richelieu Club in 1966, he served as its president from 1974 to 1975. As a member of the school council, he represented the École secondaire L’Escale on the Prescott-Russell Board of Education.
In 2001 he received the rank of Knight of the Order of the Pleiade, and in 2010, Docteur Jérôme Corbeil Boulevard in Clarence-Rockland was named in his honour.
Husband of Anita Duchesne, he has four children.
Dr. Jérôme Corbeil passed away on June 4, 2016 at 90 years old.
Pediatrician at Hôpital Montfort from 1955 to 1971.
President of the Medical Bureau from 1955 to 1957.
Honourary Member in 1967.
Horace René Viau was born in L’Orignal, Ontario on September 12, 1900. He attended grade school in Plantagenet and completed his classical studies at the University of Ottawa (B.A., 1921) and his medical studies at the Université de Montréal (M.D., 1928). He received his internship training at Notre-Dame de la Miséricorde hospital in Montreal in 1928-1929. He completed his post-graduate studies (1929 to 1932) in pediatrics at the Children’s Memorial Hospital of Montreal, at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York and at the Hospital For Sick Children in Boston. Horace Viau opened his medical practice in Ottawa in 1932. He was first assistant in the pediatric service at the Ottawa General Hospital. He was a member of the active staff of the Ottawa General Hospital and a member of courtesy staff at the Civic, Grace and Strathcona hospitals in Ottawa and Sacré-Cœur in Hull (Gatineau). He taught courses in pediatrics at the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Medicine and School of Nursing. He contributed several articles to the journal Union médicale du Canada. He was an active member of Hôpital Montfort as far back as 1953. In 1968 he became an honourary member of medical staff at Hôpital Montfort. He retired and closed his practice in 1971.
Dr. Viau is one of the principal founders of the Société Richelieu and the club’s first president-governor of the club which later became Richelieu International. The Ottawa Richelieu Club paid him tribute by creating the Cercle Horace-Viau and its award in 1988, and the Horace-Viau golf tournament in his memory. The Ottawa clubs are located in the Horace-Viau region.
The husband of Béatrice Laliberté, he died in Ottawa in 1975.
General practitioner, family physician and obstetrician at Hôpital Montfort from 1956 to 1997.
President of the Medical Bureau from 1968 to 1971.
Honorary member in 1996.
Born on December 15, 1924, in Moncton, New Brunswick, Lomer LeBlanc completed his classical studies at the Collège Saint-Alexdandre in Limbour, Quebec (B.A. Université Laval, 1947) and his medical studies at the University of Ottawa (M.D., 1955). After his internship at the Ottawa General Hospital (1954-1955) and the Saint-Laurent de Hull sanatorium, he completed his residency in general medicine at Mercy Hospital in Buffalo, New York (1955-1956). He also took courses at Georgetown University in Washington. He performed a number of administrative duties at Hôpital Montfort, including his work as chair of the Council of Physicians (1968-1971) and manager of the Pavillon de la Sagesse (1982-1993), the long-term health care centre located on hospital grounds. He was also an active member of medical staff for many years and president (1988-1990) of the Council of Physicians of Saint-Vincent Hospital. He retired in 1997.
Husband of Marcelle d'Auteuil, he has three children. Dr. Lomer LeBlanc passed away in Ottawa on January 20, 2015, at the age of 90 years old.
Orthopedic Physician at Hôpital Montfort from 1957 to 1983.
Medical Director in 1968.
President of the Council of Physicians from 1974 to 1975.
Raymond Paiement was born on May 2, 1926 in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario. He attended the École St-Joseph and the Collège Bourget in Rigaud for two years. He completed his classical studies at the University of Ottawa (B.A., 1946) and his medical studies at the same institution (M.D., 1952). He pursued post-graduate studies at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia in 1952-1953 and performed his internship at Verdun Hospital (1951-1952). He studied general surgery at the St. Thomas Hospital in Akron, Ohio (1953-1954) and orthopedics at the Hôpital Sacré-Cœur in Cartierville (1955-1957). He was an active member of Hôpital Montfort staff and chief of its orthopedics department from 1957 to 1983. For eleven years, he was the hospital`s only orthopedic physician.
Married to Thérèse Rochon, he had seven children. Raymond Paiement died in Ottawa on December 14, 1983.
Pathologist at Hôpital Montfort from 1957 to 1984.
President of the Medical Advisory Committee from 1971 to 1972.
Honourary member in 1987.
John Peter (“Jean Pierre”) Burke was born in Fergus, Ontario on October 9, 1923. He grew up in the Village of Rockcliffe, where he later raised his own family. After obtaining a Bachelor of Arts degree (B.A.) in history at McGill University, he studied medicine at the University of Ottawa and obtained his diploma (M.D.) in 1951. He completed his residency at the Boston General Hospital. He moved to Ottawa after completing his education and specialized in pathology (1957). He became chief of the pathology department and laboratory director at Hôpital Montfort from 1957 to 1984. John Peter Burke also taught courses in pathology at the University of Ottawa School of Medicine and was a member emeritus of the Ontario Association of Pathologists in 1987. A gifted artist, he spent many Saturdays painting with his friends from the Gatineau Group of Painters.
He married Barbara Messier and had two daughters. John Peter Burke died in Ottawa on December 9, 2012.
Otorhinolaryngology Surgeon at Hôpital Montfort from 1957 to 1987.
Born in Cap St-Ignace, Quebec on October 4, 1922, Paul-Henri Fortin attended the Collège de Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière from 1938 to 1944 (B.A., 1944) and pursued his medical studies at the Université Laval (M.D., 1949). He completed a year of clinical rotations in Quebec hospitals. Dr. Fortin specialized in otolaryngology at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan, obtaining his certificate in 1957.
He moved to Ottawa in 1957 and became an active member of Hôpital Montfort, Hôpital Sacré-Cœur (Hull, Quebec) and the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO).
He retired in 1987.
He and his wife, Marcelle Morisset, had five children. Paul-Henri Fortin died in Ottawa on December 10, 1987 at the age of 65.
Internist at Hôpital Montfort from 1958 to 1967.
Medical Director of Hôpital Montfort from 1958 to 1967.
Wilbrod François Cormier was born in New Richmond, New Brunswick on January 5, 1916. He attended elementary school and high school in New Richmond, and spent two years at the Académie commerciale de New Richmond. He registered in the classical education program at the Gaspé Seminary, and completed the program at Brébeuf College in Montreal. He pursued his university medical studies at the Université Laval (M.D., 1943), and later served in the military as a physician at the Quebec Military Hospital from 1943 to 1946. He spent several years in private practice in Sutton, Quebec, from 1946 to 1949. Between 1949 and 1951, he took and completed specialized courses in pulmonary disease, tuberculosis and bronchoscopy at the Hôpital Sacré-Coeur in Cartierville and at the Trudeau School in Saranac, New York. From 1951 to 1957, Wilbrod Cormier worked as Senior Physician at the Ross Sanatorium in Gaspé. In 1957-1958, he took courses at the school of hospital administration of the Quebec hospitals committee (Comité des hôpitaux du Québec) in Montreal. He moved to Ottawa in 1958 to take up the position of Medical Director at Hôpital Montfort, which he filled until 1967. From 1967 to 1976, he served as Assistant Director of the medical care program of the federal Department of Health and Welfare. From 1976 to 1977 he was director of operations and special projects for the Health Insurance Branch, Health Programs. From 1978 to 1981 he served as consulting physician for the Outaouais office of the Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail du Québec (C.S.S.T.Q.). He retired in 1981. Dr. Cormier chaired the Board of Directors of the Eastview Health Unit from 1960 to 1967. He was member of the Board of the Ottawa-Carleton Health Unit from 1967 to 1973 and of the Ottawa-Carleton Social Planning Council from 1965 to 1970, and he later chaired the Board of the Centre d’accueil Champlain from 1969 to 1976. He was also a member of the Ottawa Board of Education's French Language Advisory Council at the secondary level from 1971 to 1972. Former second-in-command of the 19 Field Ambulance Montreal (militia) from 1949 to 1951, he was second-in-command of 10 Medical Company of Ottawa (militia) from 1957 to 1964 and Commander from 1964 to 1967. Married to Marguerite Bilodeau, he had three sons. Wilbrod F. Cormier died in Ottawa on February 19, 1984.
General practitioner, obstetrician and pediatrician at Hôpital Montfort from 1958 to 1991.
Pierre Sarda was born in Montauban, France on August 2, 1920. He obtained his bachelor of arts degree (B.A.) in 1938 from the Université de Bordeaux. He completed a year of medical preparatory studies (P.C.B.) at the Université de Strasbourg (1939). He studied medicine at the Université de Paris (M.D., 1946) and completed his internship in Toulouse (1944), Paris (1945) and at the Hôpital de Corbeil, now known as Corbeil-Essonnes (1945-1946). He obtained a degree in tropical medicine (1946) and a certification in Pneumology (1954). He moved to Canada with his young family in 1951 and became a Canadian citizen in 1956, performing his residency at the Vallée-Lourdes Sanatorium in New Brunswick (1951-1954). A physician in Bathurst (1954-1955) and later in Caraquet for three years (1955-1957), he was an active member of medical staff at the Hotel Dieu Hospital in Bathurst (1954-1955) and at the Hôtel-Dieu Hospital in Tracadie (1955-1957), as well as the Ottawa General Hospital and Saint-Vincent Hospital for many years. In February 1991 he was named honourary member of the Hôpital Montfort medical staff.
Husband of Denise Blanc and father of six children, Pierre Sarda died in Ottawa on December 29, 1998 at the age of 78.
Gynecologist-Obstetrician at Hôpital Montfort from 1960 to 1993.
Honourary member in 1990.
Jean Lemay was born in Quebec City on October 18, 1927. He completed his classical studies at the Collège Saint-Alexandre, in Limbour, Quebec (B.A., Université Laval, 1948) and his medical studies at the Université Laval (M.D., 1953). From 1952 to 1953, he participated in a rotational internship program at the following Quebec hospitals: Saint-François d’Assise, Enfant-Jésus and Saint-Sacrement. From 1953 to 1956, he practised general medicine in Saint-Félicien, Quebec and was a member of the Medical Bureau at the Hôtel-Dieu Saint-Michel Hospital in Roberval. He completed his post-graduate internship at Grace Hospital in Detroit, Michigan (1956-1960): one year in general surgery and three years in gynecology and obstetrics. He successively became a visiting member (1961), associate member (1962) and active member of the obstetrics and gynecology department of Hôpital Montfort. In January 1990 he was named an honorary member of the Hôpital Montfort Medical staff.
Husband of Hélène Dussault and the father of three children, Jean Lemay died in Ottawa on December 15, 2008 at the age of 81.
Dental surgeon at Hôpital Montfort from 1963 to 1998
Laurent Gilles Walker was born in Côteau-Station, Québec, on October 16, 1936.
Upon completion of his high school studies, Dr. Walker attended the University of Ottawa starting in 1953 and obtained his Bachelor of Arts (BA) in 1959. He then studied dental surgery at the University of Toronto and obtained a doctoral degree (DDS) in 1963. He won the gold medal in periodontics for the year 1962-63. During his last year of university, he completed an internship in surgery at the Toronto General Hospital under the direction of Professor A. A. Antoni. In 1980, he became a Fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry (FAGD) and an Honorary Fellow of the Academy of Dentistry International (FADI).
He moved to Ottawa to establish his practice and was a member of the staff of Hôpital Montfort from 1963 to 1998 where he was Chief of Dental Surgery from 1970 to 1984. He was also an active member of the Ottawa Dental Association and founding member of the Bytown Dental Study Club, and was president in 1980-81. He retired in 1998.
A founding member of the Collège catholique Samuel-Genest, Laurent Walker was a member of the College’s Board of Governors from 1979 to 1987. He is also a member of various parish committees and sociocultural organizations, and has been a volunteer at Hôpital Montfort since 2008.
He is married to Lise Bouffard and has three children.
Anesthesiologist at Hôpital Montfort from 1966 to 1998.
President of the Council of Physicians from 1992 to 1993.
Born in Valleyfield, Quebec on October 1, 1932, Guy Lefebvre received his classical education in Valleyfield and at the Collège Saint-Laurent (B.A., 1953). He studied medicine at the Université de Montréal (M.D. 1958). He completed his junior rotational internship at hospitals affiliated with the Université de Montréal (1957-1958). He started a general practice in Beauharnois from 1958 to 1962 and became a member of the Valleyfield Hospital Medical Bureau. From 1962 to 1964 he was an anesthesiology resident at the Montreal Hôtel-Dieu Hospital and an internal medicine resident at the same hospital from 1965 to 1966. From 1964 to 1965 he was also an anesthesiology resident for six months at the Montreal Children’s Hospital and six months at the McGill University Neurological Institute. After moving to Ottawa in 1966, he became a visiting member (1966), associate member (1967) and later an active member of Hôpital Montfort from 1968 to 1998.
Husband of Lise Lussier, he has two children.
Medical Director, Hôpital Montfort, from 1968 to 1987.
Joseph Omer Vilbon Bellegarde was born in Central Falls, Rhode Island, U.S.A. in 1918. He grew up in Hearst, Ontario and Rouyn-Noranda, Québec. He was a student at the Saint-Louis de Gonzague boarding school in Quebec and completed his classical studies at Bourget College in Rigaud, Québec (B.A.). He studied medicine at Université Laval (M.D., 1947). After specializing in anesthesiology, he spent a year at the Québec Hôtel-Dieu hospital as anesthesiologist. He later practised family medicine in Rouyn-Noranda and worked as a country doctor from 1949 to 1960. For a while, he was medical director at the Youville hospital in Rouyn. He closed his private practice in the early 1960s and studied hospital administration at the Université de Montréal. Dr. Bellegarde worked as Medical Director at Montfort for almost twenty years. He retired in 1987.
Married to Éveline Paquette, he had three children. Vilbon Bellegarde died in Ottawa on September 11, 1997 at the age of 78.
Physician at Hôpital Montfort from 1969 to 2014
Gastroenterologist, Hôpital Montfort, since 1973.
Chief of the Department of Medicine from 1977 to 1987.
Chief of Staff from 1980 to 1994.
Chair of the Council of Physicians, 2006 to 2010 and 2012 to 2013.
Born in Ottawa on September 27, 1941, Jocelyn J. Deneault attended elementary school at École Garneau and secondary school at the University of Ottawa High School. He studied at the University of Ottawa and graduated with a pre-medical bachelor’s degree (B.A., 1963). He studied medicine (M.D., 1967) at the same institution. Following his internship rotations and a year of internal medicine at the Ottawa General Hospital (1967-1969), he practised family medicine for a year. He obtained privileges with the Hôpital Montfort Department of Medicine in 1969-1970. He specialized in internal medicine and gastroenterology from 1970 to 1973, at the Ottawa General Hospital and the Ottawa Civic Hospital.
From 1992 until the early 2000s, he coordinated the gastroenterology education component of the French-language section of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, where he also worked as an associate professor. For seven years, Dr. Deneault was chief of the Gastroenterology Department at the Ottawa General hospital, from the late 1990s to the early 2000s.
A long-standing member of the Cercle universitaire d’Ottawa, he served in turn as a member of its board, vice-chair and chair (1993-1994). Dr. Deneault retired in December 2014.
Married to Madeleine DeBellefeuille, he has two daughters.
General and family practitioner at Hôpital Montfort from 1969 to 1988.
President of the Council of Physicians from 1978 to 1980.
Simon-Pierre Soucie was born in Moonbeam, Ontario on September 9, 1939. He completed his baccalaureate at the University of Ottawa (B.A., 1960) and his medical studies at the same institution (M.D. 1964). He interned at the Ottawa General Hospital in 1964-1965 and completed his residency as an anesthesiology assistant at the same hospital in 1968-1969. He opened a general practice in Kapuskasing and was a member of the Sensenbrenner Hospital Medical Bureau in this community from 1965 to 1969. He was a family physician in Orléans from 1969 to 1980. From 1969 to 1988, he was an active member of the medical staff at Hôpital Montfort. From 1978 to 1981, Dr. Soucie headed the long-term care department, and was therefore in charge of the Pavillon de la Sagesse, the long-term care centre located on Hôpital Montfort grounds. From 1979 to 1980 he completed a five-month placement in geriatrics in Europe. He was director and physician at the Élisabeth-Bruyère Health Centre from 1982 to 1988. He was visiting physician at Hôpital Montfort from 1982 to 1988. In March 1988, he was named an honorary member of the Hôpital Montfort Medical staff.
Twice married, he is the father to three children.
Urologist at Hôpital Montfort from 1970 to 1993.
President of the Medical Advisory Committee from 1976 to 1980.
Honorary Member in 1993.
Born on September 3, 1927 in Grande-Baie, Quebec, Lauréat Tremblay completed his classical studies at the Chicoutimi Seminary (B.A., 1949) and his medical studies at the Université Laval (M.D., 1954). He interned at the Chicoutimi Hospital from 1953 to 1954 and in Quebec City from 1954 to 1956. He specialized in surgery and urology, and completed his residency in Cleveland, Ohio (1956-1958) and in Chicoutimi (1958-1959). He was assistant in the urology department at the Chicoutimi Hôtel-Dieu Hospital from 1959 to 1970. He was an active member and head of the Hôpital Montfort urology department from 1970 to 1993 and was chief of staff at the hospital from 1976 to 1980. He was named an honorary member of the Hôpital Montfort medical staff in 1993.
Husband of Marcelle Lévesque and father of six children, Lauréat Tremblay died on March 19, 2009 at the age of 81.
General surgeon at Hôpital Montfort since 1970.
President of the Council of Physicians from 1987 to 1989 and from 2002 to 2005.
Thomas Telmon Dufour was born in Ottawa on December 8, 1939. A graduate of the University of Ottawa High School, he studied pre-med for two years and went on to obtain his medical degree (M.D. 1964) from the University of Ottawa. From 1964 to 1970, he specialized in general surgery at the University of Alberta Hospital in Edmonton. He joined the department of general surgery of Montfort Hospital in December 1969. During the next 34 years at Montfort Hospital, he served one term as head of the department of general surgery and three terms as president of the medical staff. He was a member of the medical staff of St. Vincent Hospital for ten years. A founding member of the Ottawa-Carleton District Health Council, twice president of the Academy of Medicine Ottawa, Dr. Dufour was the representative of the French section of the Ontario Medical Association for many years. A long-time president of the alumni committee of his Faculty of medicine, he received in 2004 the Alumni Award for Community Service from the University of Ottawa's Faculty of Medicine. Since his retirement in 2004, Dr. Dufour is a member of the board of directors of Ste. Anne Clinic and is a part-time assistant in the operating room at Montfort Hospital.
Dr. Thomas Dufour is married to Arlette Pilon and has three children.
Gynecologist-Obstetrician at Hôpital Montfort from 1971 to 1996.
Director of the Gynecology Department from 1971 to 1996.
Honourary member in 1986.
Camille Ladouceur was born around 1924. He completed his medical studies at the Université Laval (M.D., 1948). He practised general medicine in Embrun, Ontario for six years. He specialized in gynecology at the Montreal Hôtel-Dieu hospital. He served as chief of the Hôpital Montfort gynecology department for 25 years, from 1971 to 1996.
Husband of Jeannine LaHaye and father of five children, Camile Ladouceur died on January 25, 2005 at the age of 80.
Internist at Hôpital Montfort from 1972 to 2003.
Born on December 29, 1922 in Istanbul, Turkey, Dr. Ugnat completed secondary school and classical studies at the Lycée St-Benoit and obtained his bachelor of arts degree (B.A.) in 1941. He studied medicine at the University of Istanbul (M.D., 1947). François-Antoine Ugnat completed his internship in Lyon, France in 1949. From 1949 to 1953, he worked as an intern and resident for various medical departments in university hospitals in Lyon and Paris. Later, from 1953 to 1956, he was chief assistant with the phthisiology department at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Istanbul. From 1956 to 1957, he completed a rotation with the Montreal Heart Institute at Maisonneuve Hospital. After moving to the Outaouais region in the mid-1960s, he completed a placement as assistant at the Ottawa General Hospital (1965-1966). From 1966 to 1972, Dr. Ugnat was chief of the medical department at the St-Michel Hospital in Buckingham, Quebec. From 1972 to 2003, he was an internist at Hôpital Montfort.
Husband of Marthe and father of six children, François-Antoine Ugnat died in Ottawa on February 25, 2012 at the age of 89.
Psychiatrist, Hôpital Montfort, from 1976 to 2012.
Chief of Psychiatry, 1980 to 1997.
Lucien L. Faucher was born in Edmonton, Alberta on December 30, 1939. He grew up in Edmonton and completed his classical studies at the Collège Saint-Jean, affiliated with the University of Ottawa (B.A., 1960). After obtaining a master’s degree in psychology from the University of Ottawa (M.Psy., 1962), he worked as a psychologist at the Alberta Hospital Edmonton for four years, from 1962 to 1966. He studied medicine (M.D., 1970) at the University of Alberta. After completing his internship rotations at the Edmonton General Hospital in 1970-1971, he decided to specialize in psychiatry and obtained a residency at the University of Ottawa (1971-1975).
Dr. Faucher worked for the federal Department of Health and Welfare for two years. Among other things, he was responsible for approving medication as a member of the Health Protection Branch. In 1976 he joined Dr. Alphonse Blais and Dr. Emmanuel Augustin to establish the Hôpital Montfort psychiatric department, later known as the Mental Health Program. He took over from Dr. Blais in 1980 as Chief of the department, a position he held for seventeen years until 1997. He was also the first psychiatrist at the Rockland Mental Health Clinic.
Dr. Faucher has been extremely active in professional associations; he served in turn as member and chair of the Association of General Hospital Psychiatric Services (AGHPS), member and chair of the Ontario Psychiatric Association (OPA), member and vice-chair of the Academy of Medicine of Ottawa (AMO) – psychiatry section, and member of the Canadian Psychiatric Association where he served on the boards of the Association and its foundation.
Since his retirement in June 2012, Lucien Faucher has consulted part-time at the Petawawa military base (two days a week) and has served as an expert for the Ontario Review Board for persons found not criminally responsible by reason of their mental condition.
Married to Jean Ruth Caplan, he has four children.