Medical laboratory technologist
As one of the largest health professional groups in Canada, medical laboratory technologists (MLT) play a vital role in the healthcare system.
In partnership with the Eastern Ontario Regional Laboratory Association (EORLA), Montfort has approximately thirty dedicated MLTs who provide a full range of laboratory services in a core-lab environment equipped with the latest technology and operating 24 hours a day.
Did you know that 85 % of medical decisions are based on the results of medical laboratory tests?
At Montfort, medical laboratory technologists
- Perform diagnostic analyses for the Emergency Department, Family Birthing Centre, Medical and Surgical Units, Intensive Care, Ambulatory Clinics and the National Defence Medical Centre;
- Provide complete transfusion medicine, hematology, biochemistry, microbiology and anatomopathology services;
- Ensure the quality of lab results using controlled procedures;
- Train nursing staff on the use of bedside diagnostic analysis instruments (such as glucose meters and test strip urinalysis);
- Actively participate in training MLTs interns and technicians.
“I am glad to say that I’ve been part of the lab team (as an ALREO employee) at Montfort for the past 9 years as senior technologist in the biochemistry lab. The lab team, including technicians, pathologists and administrative support staff, focusses on excellence. It is extremely dynamic, responsible and proud to produce high quality results that have a direct impact on the quality of patient care. I am proud to contribute to patient care through sample analysis. The quality of the results that I produce helps the patient diagnosis process, which enhances my profession. The variety of patients that come to Montfort helps me share my knowledge with the other health services while gaining new knowledge.”
Renée-Claude Baril, Medical Laboratory Technologist at Montfort since November 2004