March 22: Day of Franco-Ontarian Solidarity
March 13, 2012 - Our goal is to highlight the 15th anniversary of the largest Franco-Ontarian rally by collecting more than 10 000 ‘likes’ on the brand new Facebook page created for the occasion.
On March 22, 1997, our community came together to save Hôpital Montfort, with some 10 000 people gathering at the Ottawa Civic Centre to oppose the government’s decision to shut down the institution.
Several activities are planned for March 22, including:
- A proclamation for Franco-Ontarian Solidarity Day by Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson;
- The Ottawa mayor’s annual Francophone Rendez-vous (invitation-only event);
- A series of activities throughout the province, such as a wine and cheese tasting in Windsor (Complete list of activities);
- A citizen’s café organized by the French Language Health Services Network and the General Assembly;
- A gala evening, in which three March 22 medals will be awarded. Tickets are available at the Shenkman Centre for the Arts at a cost of $22.