Father Edmond Ducharme
Father Edmond Ducharme, SMM (1891-1974): Promoted the founding of the Saint-Louis-Marie- de-Montfort Hospital in 1947 and served as a member of the organizing committee from 1947 to 1953.
From 1932 to 1953 Edmond Ducharme was priest of Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes in Ottawa, a parish located at 435 Montreal Road. He was deeply involved in Eastview’s community affairs. He launched a host of projects, including the use of several French street names, and the establishment of a credit union named Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, Hôpital Montfort and the Eastview high school (renamed André-Laurendeau in 1969).
In 1947 he came up with the idea of opening a hospital in Eastview and developed a plan. In 1949 he asked the Daughters of Wisdom to found and lead the hospital. The Daughters of Wisdom agreed. Father Ducharme left Ottawa in 1953 shortly after the hospital opened to head the Marian Montfortain Centre in Montreal.
In 1959 the Association canadienne-française d’éducation de l’Ontario awarded him its Ordre du mérite scolaire franco-ontarien (Franco-Ontarian scholastic order of merit) as “highly deserving.” An Ottawa Boulevard, located in the Vanier neighbourhood bears his name.
Father Edmond Ducharme died in Montreal in 1974 at the age of 83.