All births at Hôpital Montfort must be registered with Service Ontario within 30 days of birth, regardless of where the parents live.
You can do so:
- Via Internet, by visiting www.ontario.ca/page/register-birth-new-baby
- If you do not have access to a computer to register your newborn online, visit the Service Ontario office at 110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa to register your newborn’s birth.
Proof of birth from Hôpital Montfort
In some cases, you may need hospital-issued proof of birth.
The proof of birth issued by Hôpital Montfort is not a legal document, nor is it a substitute for a birth certificate issued by the Province of Ontario.
If you are a resident of Quebec
- Contact the Régie d’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) to obtain and complete a registration form.
Régie d’assurance maladie du Québec
1 800 561-9749
The RAMQ may ask for a proof of birth from the hospital.
Be aware that a child under one year of age who does not yet have his or her own health insurance card can receive health care in Quebec by presenting the health insurance card of one of his or her parents.
- You must obtain a proof of birth from Hôpital Montfort to apply for benefits under the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP).
Quebec Parental Insurance Plan
- Since your child was born outside of Quebec, you will need to apply for the Family Allowance from Retraite Quebec.
Other uses of proof of birth
Proof of birth issued by the hospital may be required in the following situations.
- Parental leave
- Motivation for absence from work or school
- Private Insurance Claim
- Passport application, at the request of Service Canada, an embassy or consulate
To obtain proof of birth
- Call the Access to Information and Privacy Protection Service at 613-746-4621 x 2905, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This service is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday, except on statutory holidays.
- A $30 fee applies. You can pay by cheque or online; more information on this subject will be sent to you.
- Processing time is less than 30 days.
The Newborn Club
Join our Newborn Club by making a $100 donation to commemorate the day of your child’s birth. A footprint with your baby’s name and birthdate will be placed on the Newborn Club Wall at the entrance of the Family Birthing Centre.