Access to information and privacy protection
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) at Hôpital Montfort
''Access to Information is a fundamental right for all. Here at Montfort, this right is an integral part of our values of excellence, respect and openness toward our community.''
El Mostafa Bouattane, Chief Privacy Officer
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) is provincial legislation that came into effect on January 1, 1988. Beginning January 1, 2012, all hospitals in Ontario are subject to the FIPPA. To ensure full compliance with the Act, Montfort has a Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Office.
The Act has two main purposes:
- To make public bodies more transparent and accountable by providing individuals with the right of access to government records.
- To protect personal information from unauthorized collection, use or disclosure by public bodies and to provide individuals with a right of access to that information.
The Act applies to records in the custody or control of the hospital since January 1st, 2007. Upon request, certain records must be made available, subject to limited exemptions as provided for in the Act.
Access to general records
You do not always need to submit a formal freedom of information request to access information from Montfort.
- Information can be found on our website. It contains readily available records including hospital statistics, plans, reports and other documents.
- If you cannot find the information on this website, consider requesting it from the department or area of the hospital you believe may have what you are looking for. The department or area will tell you whether the information can be provided to you informally, or whether you will have to submit a formal freedom of information request.
- Whether you submit a formal or an informal request, please refer to our Directory of Records, located under the Access and Privacy section, to determine the exact nature of the information you are seeking. This will enable us to assist you better.
- Disclosed documents are provided in their original written language.
Fees for a general record request
The hospital is permitted to charge certain fees in connection with responding to an FOI (Freedom of Information) request. Section 57(1) of FIPPA and Regulation 460 outline those costs.
About the Access to Information and Privacy Office
This office oversees the application of the FIPPA and PHIPA (Personal Health Information Protection Act) within Montfort. We manage complaints and privacy breaches as they relate to both laws. We process the following requests:
Under the FIPPA
- Request for access to General Records - Fees apply.
- Request for access to Own Personal Information - Fees apply.
- Request for correction to Own Personal Information.
Under the PHIPA
- Request for access to personal health information (formerly clinical records) - access to clinical records, release of information, confirmation of birth, hospital stay and death - Fees apply.
- Request for correction to personal health information.
You can find all of our access forms online. Our Directory of Records and Personal Information Bank are also available on this website. It may help you narrow the scope of your request.
You can visit us during business hours (8:00 – 16:00). We are located in the D Wing, basement level, 00D135. Our reading room is 00D133A.
We can be reached by telephone at 613-746-4621, ext. 4903 or 2998.
Our Access to Information and Privacy Protection Coordinator
Access to Information and Privacy Protection
Tel. :(613) 746-4621, ext. 2999
Fax: (613) 748-4949
NOTE: PDF documents are available in a different format upon request at email@example.com